- 1 Who are the two main characters in the boy in the striped pajamas?
- 2 What are the names of Bruno’s friends in The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas?
- 3 Does Pavel die?
- 4 What happened to Shmuel’s father?
- 5 Is Lieutenant Kotler Bruno’s dad?
- 6 Is Bruno happy to look like Shmuel?
- 7 How did Bruno’s grandmother died?
- 8 What does Lieutenant Kotler symbolize in the boy in the striped pajamas?
- 9 What nationality is Shmuel?
- 10 Who is Bruno’s sister?
- 11 Did Bruno die in the gas chamber?
- 12 Does Lieutenant Kotler like Gretel?
- 13 Is the story of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas true?
Who are the two main characters in the boy in the striped pajamas?
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas Characters
- Bruno. The protagonist and narrator, at the start of the novel Bruno is a nine-year-old boy living in Berlin during World War II.
- Gretel. Gretel is Bruno’s twelve-year-old sister, whom Bruno refers to as a “Hopeless Case.”
- Lieutenant Kotler.
What are the names of Bruno’s friends in The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas?
Karl, Daniel, and Martin Bruno’s three “best friends for life” from Berlin.
Does Pavel die?
In short, Pavel dies from Lieutenant Kotler’s beatings after Pavel spills wine on Kotler during a dinner with the commander of the camp and the commander’s family.
What happened to Shmuel’s father?
Toward the end of the novel, Shmuel’s father disappears, and he petitions Bruno for help finding him. Tragically, Shmuel is not aware that his father has been executed in the gas chambers along with the other Jewish prisoners and desperately searches the camp with Bruno before they are also herded into a gas chamber.
Is Lieutenant Kotler Bruno’s dad?
Kurt Kotler is a nineteen-year-old German soldier at Auschwitz who frequents Bruno’s home. Kotler is eventually transferred away from Auschwitz when Father discovers that Kotler’s father, a literature professor, fled from Germany in 1938 at the start of the war.
Is Bruno happy to look like Shmuel?
Bruno is pleased to see that Shmuel seems happier lately, though he is still very skinny. Bruno remarks that this is the strangest friendship he has ever had, since the boys only talk, and cannot play with each other.
How did Bruno’s grandmother died?
Each Christmas, she devises a play for herself and the children, to be performed at their holiday party. Grandmother opposes the Nazi party, and gets into a huge fight with Father when he accepts the new post at Auschwitz. They do not make up, and she dies while the family is away at Auschwitz.
What does Lieutenant Kotler symbolize in the boy in the striped pajamas?
Lieutenant Kotler is a part of the Nazi system in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Kotler’s personality is not much else other than the Nazi system. He is the representation of Third Reich. Accordingly, there is not much emotional depth to him.
What nationality is Shmuel?
Shmuel is a nine-year-old Jewish boy who has been imprisoned in Out-With (Auschwitz) Camp along with his grandfather, father, and brother. Shmuel’s family used to live in another part of Poland, where daily life underwent a series of chilling changes.
Who is Bruno’s sister?
Gretel is Bruno’s twelve-year-old sister, whom Bruno refers to as a “Hopeless Case.” She feels that she is much wiser and more mature than Bruno, and often taunts him.
Did Bruno die in the gas chamber?
In The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Bruno and Shmuel die together in the gas chambers of Auschwitz. Tragically, Bruno’s fateful decision to help eventually leads to his death in the gas chamber.
Does Lieutenant Kotler like Gretel?
She has crush on Lieutenant Kotler, who is about seven years older than her and laughs at everything he says even if wasn’t funny.
Is the story of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas true?
No, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is not based on a true story. It is a work of historical fiction that takes place in Germany during the Holocaust.