- 1 What does it mean when someone says you’re the cat’s pajamas?
- 2 What kind of phrase is the cat’s pajamas?
- 3 Why is bees knees a saying?
- 4 What is special about bees knees?
- 5 What are some old time sayings?
- 6 What is the origin of the expression the cat’s pajamas?
- 7 What does the expression the cat’s meow mean?
- 8 Where does the expression the cat’s pajamas come from?
- 9 How do you use cat’s pajamas in a sentence?
- 10 What is the idiom of get the green light?
- 11 What’s the difference between pyjamas and pajamas?
- 12 Do bees fart?
- 13 How do you use bees knees in a sentence?
- 14 What does Zozzled mean?
What does it mean when someone says you’re the cat’s pajamas?
informal + old-fashioned.: a highly admired or exceptionally excellent person or thing He’s the cat’s pajamas, I couldn’t love, respect, admire, and enjoy that individual more than I do.— Drew Barrymore, quoted in Harper’s, 1 Oct.
What kind of phrase is the cat’s pajamas?
The term ‘cat’ also was coming into use by the flapper set as a slang word for person, or cool person. Thus, ‘the cat’s pajamas’ became a way to say that someone was cool, great, special, the best.
Why is bees knees a saying?
The phrase was first recorded in the late 18th century, when it was used to mean ‘something very small and insignificant’. Its current meaning dates from the 1920s, at which time a whole collection of American slang expressions were coined with the meaning ‘an outstanding person or thing’.
What is special about bees knees?
Why Bees Knees Actually are the Best In the late 1700s, the expression “the bee’s knees,” was used to describe something very small and insignificant. The connotation changed somewhere around the 1920s to mean outstanding or the height of excellence.
What are some old time sayings?
Our top old-fashioned English sayings
- Granny. Let’s start by quickly having a look at granny herself.
- A sight for sore eyes.
- On your jollies.
- A little bird told me.
- There’s no accounting for taste.
- Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.
- Pardon my French.
- Don’t count your chickens.
What is the origin of the expression the cat’s pajamas?
“The cat’s pajamas” is first recorded in 1920 as part of the typical vocabulary of Jazz Age flappers and was soon popularized by cartoonist Tad Dorgan in his comic strip Indoor Sports.
What does the expression the cat’s meow mean?
—used to say that someone or something is very appealing I really like that car; it’s the cat’s meow. Going to the movies was the cat’s pajamas when I was a kid.
Where does the expression the cat’s pajamas come from?
American cartoonist Thomas Aloysius “Tad” Dorgan is often credited with coining this colorful phrase, which is used to refer to someone or something wonderful or remarkable. It is one of a handful of slang expressions to emerge in the early to mid-1920s featuring animals.
How do you use cat’s pajamas in a sentence?
The Cat’s Pajamas in a Sentence
- When I introduced my great grandmother to the internet, she said it was the Cat’s Pajamas, which apparently means it’s awesome.
- If something is so amazing you can’t contain your excitement, you could say that it is the Cat’s Pajamas.
What is the idiom of get the green light?
to give permission for someone to do something or for something to happen: The council has given the green light to the new shopping centre.
What’s the difference between pyjamas and pajamas?
Generally, ‘pajamas’ is the preferred spelling in American English, whereas ‘pyjamas’ is the more common spelling used in English through out the rest of the world.
Do bees fart?
And, it turns out, why yes, bees do fart. They do have digestive systems; they do possibly get indigestion and they do fart. Bee farts must smell like honey.
How do you use bees knees in a sentence?
Examples of ‘bee’s knees’ in a sentence bee’s knees
- We’d think we were the bee’s knees.
- We thought he was the bee’s knees.
- Well, isn’t she just the intellectual bee’s knees.
- They want to persuade you they are the bee’s knees.
- I use suitcase burners — they’re the bee’s knees.
- To us, it was the bee’s knees.
What does Zozzled mean?
be zozzled slang To be very drunk. I thought Chad and I were just going to stop by the bar for a beer or two, but now he’s totally zozzled. We had three bottles of wine between us, so we were all pretty zozzled by the time we finished lunch. See also: zozzled.