- 1 Where did the phrase the cats pajamas come from?
- 2 What does the saying you’re the cat’s pajamas mean?
- 3 What are the cats pajamas?
- 4 Is it the cat’s pajamas or the cats meow?
- 5 Why is it called bees knees?
- 6 What does the term she’s the cat’s mother mean?
- 7 How do you use cat’s pajamas in a sentence?
- 8 What’s the difference between Pyjamas and pajamas?
- 9 Does Cat’s Pajamas spread?
- 10 Is catmint the same as cat’s pajamas?
- 11 What does the cat’s meow?
Where did the phrase the cats pajamas come from?
“The cat’s pajamas” is first recorded in 1920 as part of the typical vocabulary of Jazz Age flappers and was soon popularized by cartoonist Tad Dorgan in his comic strip Indoor Sports.
What does the saying you’re the cat’s pajamas mean?
informal + old-fashioned.: a highly admired or exceptionally excellent person or thing He’s the cat’s pajamas, I couldn’t love, respect, admire, and enjoy that individual more than I do.—
What are the cats pajamas?
(idiomatic) A highly sought-after and fancy example of something, usually referring to inanimate objects. That new car was really the cat’s pyjamas.
Is it the cat’s pajamas or the cats meow?
—used to say that someone or something is very appealing I really like that car; it’s the cat’s meow. Going to the movies was the cat’s pajamas when I was a kid.
Why is it called bees knees?
The phrase ‘the bee’s knees’ was originally an 18th century fanciful phrase which referred to something that didn’t exist. It was used as the kind of spoof item apprentices would be sent to the stores to fetch – like tartan paint or a left-handed hammer. This meaning is no longer used.
What does the term she’s the cat’s mother mean?
(idiomatic, somewhat dated, Britain, New England) A rebuke especially directed towards children for having referred to a woman as “she”, instead of using her name or an appropriately respectful title.
How do you use cat’s pajamas in a sentence?
The Cat’s Pajamas in a Sentence
- When I introduced my great grandmother to the internet, she said it was the Cat’s Pajamas, which apparently means it’s awesome.
- If something is so amazing you can’t contain your excitement, you could say that it is the Cat’s Pajamas.
What’s the difference between Pyjamas and pajamas?
Generally, ‘pajamas’ is the preferred spelling in American English, whereas ‘pyjamas’ is the more common spelling used in English through out the rest of the world.
Does Cat’s Pajamas spread?
It reaches a compact height of twelve to fourteen inches with a spread of eighteen to twenty inches. The size of the Cat’s Pajamas Catmint makes it perfect for almost any space. Use is as a border plant, in mass planting, edging, in containers.
Is catmint the same as cat’s pajamas?
‘Cat’s Pajamas’ will be the most well -behaved catmint you’ve ever seen. Its shape is like a blue bowling ball in the landscape—neatly rounded and covered top to bottom for most of the summer in bubbly blue blossoms. You’ll find that it starts blooming a bit earlier than most catmints, too.
What does the cat’s meow?
The cat’s meow is her way of communicating with people. Cats meow for many reasons—to say hello, to ask for things, and to tell us when something’s wrong. Meowing is an interesting vocalization in that adult cats don’t actually meow at each other, just at people.